Friday, May 20, 2011

Blue Eyeshadow (and other colors that scare you)


There was a time when the only eyeshadows I used were brown and taupe. Sure, I had a ton of other colors, but those were reserved for Halloween. Then, about 2 years ago, I discovered that color eyeshadow could be my friend. The kind of friend who shows up and brightens your day and puts a smile on your face every time you see her.

Color scares most ladies who are out of their teens and think that blue eyeshadow (ala Mimi Bobeck) isn't appropriate for a trip to WalMart or the PTO meeting. But that's where you're wrong! Blue, purple, green, even orange eye shadows can look polished and stunning with the right hues and lots of blending.

Take a look at these examples:

Teal blue with grey

Dark royal blue on lids only



Light & Medium purples for a breathtaking smokey eye

Purple and brown plums


Ok, this next one probably isn't the look you'd choose for the PTO meeting. Unless you're me (because that's how I roll) or you live in New Jersey! :D

Dark and medium greens
with black and grey to "smoke out" the eye


A BEAUTIFUL Gold and Green eye with black gel eyeliner, how sexy!
So now you know colors can be your friend too. I could post tutorials here... but why reinvent the wheel? There are 1,000's of videos on YouTube to show you color combinations and blending techniques. Just decide what color you want to try first and do a search for it on their website.

Some of my favorite drugstore colors are:
The Wet N Wild Palettes (with 6 colors)
Cover Girl Eye Enhancers shadow singles
in Forever Fig, Sterling Blue, Lime Alive, and Indigo Impact
L'Oreal HIP Bright Shadow Duo in Reckless (purples) and Concentrated Shadow Duos in Lively (Dk green), Devious (olive green), and Spirit (blues... this one may be discontinued)

Not sure what color eyeshadow will work best with your eye color? Well... I say whatever color you feel comfortable in... there really are no rules! But, the book Makeup Makeovers by Robert Jones makes the following suggestions.

Blue Eyes - Rich warm browns, warm taupes, and soft peaches.
Green Eyes - Golden browns, warm taupes, deep purples, soft peaches, and soft violets.
Brown Eyes - Golden brown, blue, green, light mahogany, charcoal, and purple.
Grey Eyes - Charcoal, cool brown, and purple.

Those are great starting points, but he doesn't give too many colorful suggestions for the blue and grey eyed gals. So for those who have blue eyes, I would like to add that blues and plum-y purples will look pretty too. And if you have grey eyes... I think the colors he suggests for brown eyes will be perfect for you!

And so I challenge all my readers to step out of their comfort zone this weekend. It's springtime and time for you to blossom! Choose a new color and go for it!

I'll see you on the other side of the rainbow
~ Lisa


1 comment:

  1. Can you please email me with step by steps on the "Dark and medium greens with black and grey to "smoke out" the eye" one...I really wanna know how you did that one...jennica.mcgee89@gmail.com...thank you!!

    ReplyDelete